It is the purpose of this program to protect viable agricultural lands by acquiring agricultural conservation easements which prevent the development or improvement of the land for any purpose other than agricultural production.
Further, it is the purpose of this program to:
- Encourage landowners to make a long-term commitment to agriculture by offering them financial incentives and security of land use;
- Protect normal farming operations in agricultural areas from incompatible non-farming uses that may render farming impracticable;
- Protect farming operations from complaints of public nuisance against normal farming operations;
- Assure conservation of viable agricultural lands in order to protect the agricultural economy of this Commonwealth;
- Provide compensation to landowners in exchange for their relinquishment of the right to develop their private property; and
- Maximize agricultural easement purchase funds and protect the investment of taxpayers in agricultural conservation easements.
- Encourage financial partnerships between State and local governments with nonprofit entities in order to increase the funds available for agricultural conservation easement purchases.
The Agricultural Land Preservation board has 7 seats | 3 year terms.